PENNY and Bank Street College invite you to join us for a series of conversations focused on the question:
“How we create and maintain racially inclusive learning environments for students, staff, families and communities?”
During each of the three separate yet connected sessions, we will grapple with this question and several provocations from multiple perspectives (teacher, school leader, district leader, and external partner). During our time together we will:
- explore the relationship between progressive education and educators of color
- recognize systemic barriers within educational institutions and how it plays out in progressive education
- leverage all voices to strengthen our work alongside each other as co-conspirators
- examine ways to provide powerful, equitable and inclusive learning experiences for all students
- become familiar with the ways teachers, school leaders and district leaders of color experience progressive education
We ask that you commit to attending all three of the sessions. We understand that this might be challenging, but we want participants to engage in scaffolded collaborative inquiry that connects these multiple levels of experience. We believe that this perspective is essential if we are to keep students at the center of our work.
Our invited panel will share their experiences and provoke our conversations as we engage in focused inquiry to leverage all voices and strengthen our work alongside each other as co-conspirators.
We hope for several outcomes from this series including coming away with:
- a deeper understanding of how equitable systems and structures can support racially inclusive learning environments (from classroom to school to district)
- identifying actionable next steps for our respective positions and
- generating new places for additional inquiry.
We hope you can join us for these three important discussions.
- Tuesday, February 4, 2020
- Thursday, March 5, 2020
- Thursday, April 2, 2020
Each session will be from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM at the Interchurch Center, 61 Claremont Ave, Suite 1402, New York, NY 10115